Friday, December 11, 2015

Kelty Salida 2 Tent


Kelty Salida 2 

When I got back into backpacking, I needed an affordable tent that wouldn't break my back or the bank. I diligently searched the internet to find the perfect tent in those two categories. What I found? the Kelty Salida 2. For the budget-minded backpacker, you can't hardly beat this tent. It provides adequate 3 season shelter for two adults plus a vestibule for gear. I bought mine for $139 on sale from an msrp of $159. Even at full price the quality is well worth every dime.

I have now had this tent for over 3 years and have spent nearly 40 nights in it and hauled it over 250 miles on my back. During those trips I have seen most common 3 season weather variations including; rain, snow, and temperatures in the single digits.  This tent has performed at high levels in all conditions. As with all tents, I would recommend sealing the seams. Although I used it in the rain before doing so and had no leakage.

Set up is very quick and easy. One person can easily set it up. The other night my three year old and I took it camping and I set it up in the dark by myself in less than ten minutes.

An upgrade I made and strongly recommend is to replace the provided stakes with ultralight titanium stakes. Not only will you appreciate the weight savings, the cheap ones provided bend real easily and are more difficult to pound into the ground.

One of the biggest complaints in internet reviews, on this tent is the amount of condensation that collects on the inside of the tent. After having used this tent in temperatures as low as 8 degrees on the snow, I cannot say I had the same issues others experienced. However, it is important that you guy out the back of the fly as far as possible to create adequate airflow. 
Kelty Salida 2 Dimensions
The demensions are (in my opinion) spacious considering it is a two person backpacking tent. The design with a single door/vestibule on the side provides some inconvenience for the inside hiker. You cannot find a double door design for the weight and price. I just always position the hiker with the smaller bladder next to the door.

The Kelty Salida 2 on a trip in New Mexico
Bottom line, this tent has been beyond adequate as a great backpacking tent for the beginning hiker and experienced backpackers alike. Obviously if I had the money I would upgrade to a lighter tent but this tent is perfect for the budget -conscious. I would buy it again. In fact, I saw it on sale for $99 in gander mountain a few days ago and I really wanted to buy another. Being that I didn't have an extra 100 bucks to spend, I reluctantly had to pass it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment